Küçük Mecidiye -Teşrifiye- Camii (1848)
Built by Sultan Abdülmecid (1839-1861) in 1848, the Small Mecidiye Mosque was located on the Eastern entrance of the Yıldız Park, just behind the Çırağan Palace. The mosque is a part of the complex (külliye) built by Sultan Abdülmecid, which also included Sıbyan Mektebi (elementary school), medrese (theological school), and Caravanserai. These three structures are being occupied by the Istanbul Police Department.
The mosque was commissioned to Garabet Amira Balyan and Nigoğos Balyan. They constructed it in Baroque style, which became a standard in mosques built on the Bosphorus, the best example of which is the Ortaköy Cami, also known as the Grand Mecidiye Mosque (Büyük Mecidiye Camii).
The Small Mecidiye Mosque has a square plan of 12.5m x 12.5m with one dome and one minaret. The interior has a symmetrical design. The Hünkâr Mahfili (imperial lodge), situated on the north, is made of stone, and has a separate entrance. The section reserved for female attendees is in the second floor with the Hünkâr Mahfili.
Location: It is located between the Beşiktaş and Ortaköy districts of Istanbul.
Hours: this is a functioning mosque, therefore visiting hours are from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm every day, but visiting is interrupted during the prayer times.
Admission: Free. Donations are accepted.
Rules: When entering a Mosque, visitors are asked to take their shoes off and female visitors to cover their head and shoulders. Skirts and pants should reach below the knee. If needed, mosque officials will assist you. If there are signs, such as clearly prohibiting the use of flashes to protect the artwork, please, follow the rules.
Salih Yilmaz, (2005), “Osmanli mimarisinde Istridye Formu”, Marmara University, Istanbul, p. 55.